Tuesday, December 15, 2015

crucial conversations reading goals

My supervisor continues to tell me that my career is a marathon, not a sprint,  Wise words.  I usually respond with, "If everything feels under control, you're not going fast enough" (Mario Andretti).  I believe that my career is going to be a balance of these two ideas. 

Cover for Crucial Conversations

Which brings me to this professional read.  In my yearly goals conversation, I expressed my desire to become better at communication.  I struggle with expressing my thoughts concisely, yet clearly, & delegating tasks.  My supervisor recommended Crucial Conversations by Patterson et. al. earlier this semester.  I'm finally taking his advice and picking up the book, even though I purchased it well over two months ago.

Just as I recommend to students, for this professional read, I'll be an active reader. I'll be annotating, reflecting, and paraphrasing as much as possible.  Every few days, I'll post my active reading thoughts in order to share what I've read and what I've reflected upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment